Saturday, January 10, 2009

Wake up, smoke crack, name your kid

What happens to people when they name their kids? Some people lose at this game, for real. Names are important, parents are giving it to their kid for his/her whole damn life, so why are their so many shitty names out their? There are a good amount of really great names out their, the classics, why fuck with those?

Peter
James
Patrick
(yes, my parents did a pretty good job with my names)
John
Daniel

Samantha
Brianna
Jeniffer
Caitlin
Sarah
Catherine

Those are all good ole' classic names. Granted, that's not a lot of names to go around, but there are so many more out there. Not enough apparently. People need to just stop making up their own names, someone did it a very long time ago and they did it right. Now people are just mixing shit up. Combining names. I swear people just put names in a hat, draw two, and then mash them together to form one new name. Fuck that.

Jennica(sorry if this is your name), are you serious? Jessica, and Jennifer. What the fuck was wrong with just one of those names? Her parents had to have both, greed. I guess it's a good thing she wasn't named Jessifer, save that for the next kid.

Ashley-lynn. Okay, this one is actually a really cute name, if I added the lynn to the end to show affection to a friend, not because it was actually supposed to be there. As I said, I really do like this one, but I have to hate it on principle. I dislike all hyphenated names(taking two last names is dumb). Adding lynn to an existing name does not make it a new name, just throw lynn in as a middle name, problem solved. The same goes for Ann. Anne is a fine name on it's own, it does not need to be stuck on the end of some other name.

Spelling is another thing, changing the spelling of well spelled names is just stupid. Kaycie? Really? Why would you do that?

I also believe that people should not be named after states(except maybe Virginia). Montana? Come on. You want to name your kid after a big chunk of land. I swear, the next person I meet will probably be named North Dakota. NoDak might be a cool nickname.

I suppose it could be worse. Kids named America, or Vegetarian, Apple(shit, that already happened). People will soon start mixing all the things I talked about together, Jenakota-lynn. Oh the possibilities.

I think there is a reason strippers have stripper names, why name your kid one of those?

I feel like I'm being unfair though, only showing terrible female names, I just haven't really ever run into anyone named Johiel, or Patrer. If I do though, I'll be sure to let you know. I'm sure there are plenty of just as terrible male names out there, I just don't know them. I'm not a huge fan of Toby.

2 comments:

ADW said...

hey now! i kinda dig the made up names! The classics are good too (Kate, Jack, Sam) but I would rather be named Apple then Tiffany or some other name that was popular in the late 80's. Names are cool why go boring?

Although I must agree, NOTHING hyphenated is EVER good!! Out with the -lynn and the -anne !!

The stupid twist on spelling is also irritating but some people might not know how to spell tricky names like Shyanne or is it Chyenne ??

This all reminds me of either you graduating class or Sean's.. who had a classmate named Buckshot? and wasn't there and AmandEr also?? (personally I like Buckshot better)

I noticed in the classic names that you approved of you included your first and middle name , you also included John which was the name you came home from the hospital with only to be changed to James.. whats up with that?

James. said...

Hey now, I just named the names off the top of my head, mentioning that there are many more good, classic, not stupid names. I also made note that Mom and Dad did a pretty good job naming me. You, Sean, and Oona as well. But I couldn't just list our whole family of well named children.

Also, I'm not totally opposed to made up names, all names were made up at one point. Just be original, and most of all tasteful. No more of the things I listed, name combining, mashing, adding, blah blah blah. If you're going to make a name up, make it up. Don't take someone elses work and make it crap.