Friday, January 30, 2009

Don't believe the hype!

I go home tomorrow, New York City calls my name. Just in time to leave Maine I have come down with sickness. My cough tears my throat apart with every breath, my phlegm marches from my lungs like an angry militia; my nose has become nothing more than a decoration on my face, as it no longer works as an instrument of breathing. I fight back with Halls Mentho-Lyptus Fast Relief cough drops, tea with lots of honey, a fireplace, and nothing to do.

Regarding the title of this blog, I have come across a few things lately that I expected to like very much, and didn't. Currently I am reading World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War. I wanted to love this book, I've heard so much praise. Too much praise. I wont go into too many details, as most of my readers (Sean and Jessica) have already discussed this with me. But in short, I do and don't like it, I just dislike more than I do like.

Also on the chopping block recently is Tropic Thunder. I, once again, really wanted to love this. I have heard great things, everyone I talk to loves it, and the previews looked hilarious. Previews often do look funny, showing the funniest parts of the movie in 30 seconds, leaving little else to be found when the whole movie comes to town. I was prepared for this, but honestly, I thought even the funny parts of the previews, put back in their rightful place of the whole movie, were much less funny. It kind of came around at the end, and there were a few funny parts that almost made it worth it(Tom Cruise), but it took a lot for me to even finish this movie. I immediately talked to my sister about it, who had heard nothing about it, and she loved it.

I think I need to just stop listening when people start talking about things they like/don't like. Or I just need to stop being the last person of the face of the earth to read/view something cool.

I just watched Forgetting Sarah Marshal, and all I'd heard about it was, "I thought it was really funny, but that might have been all the pot I smoked." So I had little to no expectations, and I thought that movie was great! I even liked Mila Kunis more than Kristen Bell, and I never saw that coming.

Also, I've been watching some movies that I love lately. Kill Bill Vol. II, and Pulp Fiction. I only watched Vol. II, because well, I don't know, I just didn't feel like watching Vol. I. I might now though. Anyway. Two great Tarantino movies, but what I really want to talk about is how fantastic Uma Thurman is. The whole scene in the 50's restaurant in Pulp Fiction is fantastic. The back forth between Mia and Vincent is incredible, they don't talk about anything, but it's so interesting. And then the dance is just, well fuck, it's just damn cool. Right now I'm just a huge Uma Thurman fan.

No comments: