Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Trapped on a mountain in Maine.

Home sweet home. I'm not actually trapped, at least not until tomorrow(Wednesday) when the planned day of my departure will be hit with about 9-15 inches of snow. This is no real bother to me, I have readjusted to life, or the lack there of, in Maine rather nicely. (I also got suspended from work for losing a shopping bag that belonged to a guest, so the time I had asked for off, and was denied, I got off anyway. SWEET)

I'm sitting next to a fire right now, watching TV, writing, just waiting to pick my book back up for some more reading. I have done a lot of this over the past few days. You might be able to tell, I have a new liking for the act of doing nothing(at least for the time I'm home).

Here are some other things that have fallen back into my daily routine:

Driving- I don't miss it. I drive often enough in New York, even if it is just back and forth from the garage to work. But there is something to be said about not waiting for a train, or not paying someone to drive me somewhere.

Cold- This relates directly to driving. It is also cold in New York, but it just doesn't hit you the same way. I don't miss it being so cold that your car simply just will not start, at least not right away, but I've gotten used to it.

Coffee- Coffee never left my lifestyle, but it's never been anything like it is in Maine. My old coffee shop still serves some of the best coffee I've ever tasted. It may be that it's locally roasted right down the street, it may be that I used to work there, it maybe be nothing at all, but I can still sit in there for hours and just drink coffee until I pass out.

Friends(most of whom are away at school)- There is not much to do in Maine, so I have seen very few people. I went out once with my friend Amber, and saw my friend Mike once. But going along with coffee, most of my interactions with old friends have been with the people I worked with. I've seen some people I haven't seen in almost a year and a half, and it was truly great to see them. And I got free coffee.

Family- It has been great to see the family again. My parents are as great, and as parent-like as ever. It has been great to spend some time catching up with my sister, and it's of course always wonderful to see my niece, Rowan.

Food- I'm a fairly good cook, with what I have to work with(my oven lacks a rack, and is therefore not very useful). But my father is really something else in the kitchen. I really didn't have any issue with the home cooked gourmet meals prepared for me every night. There are always leftovers, which leads to what my father calls "grazing," which is me waking up and basically snacking all day until dinner it ready that night.

Once the storm comes and goes I will return to New York, and I will love it as I always have. It has, however, been great to come home and slow my life down a little bit. Things like this make me thankful for my recession based work schedule. Oh, and getting suspended.

1 comment:

ADW said...

heres to suspension!
i'm outta lecture @ 12:30 on thurs, if youre still around we could do coffee again..