Thursday, May 1, 2008

Tristessa.

I'm reading The Fall of Hyperion, by Dam Simmons right now. I just read Hyperion. I loved Hyperion, I flew through it. The Fall though just isn't grabbing me. I'm not sure why, I really like it, it's just that when I finish a chapter I instantly feel like I want to put it down instead of carrying on chapter after chapter the way I did with the first book. It's really starting to bug me. I want to finish it, mainly because I don't really feel like reading it anymore but I'm not letting myself just give up on it. I decided to read these books to take a break from reading A Song of Ice and Fire, by George RR Martin. These epic books took over my reading ability for a long time. 1000+ pages for each book, 4 books so far, and more to come. I've read three, and decided to take a break so that when I read the 4th it would be fresher in my head when the fifth comes out this fall. Reading these books was sort of like having a needy girlfriend that you just didn't mind giving all your time too. Giving into them was so comforting. But I've still got plenty of time to read the 4th book, and I still have plenty of other books I want to read before I dive back into the relationship that is A Song of Ice and Fire. Mainly I want to read Maggie Cassidy by Kerouac. I've only read one of his books before, Tristessa. A friend of mine gave it to me to read, it probably wasn't the best of his work to start me out on, but I loved it. The book has little to no punctuation, run on after run on. It's a very emotionally violent love story full of drugs prostitutes and depression. It was honestly one of the most depressing things I've ever read, but it was really good.

I think the purpose of this blog was to talk out a solution with myself. If you were wondering, it did not work. Sean and Furman keep urging me to finish The Fall of Hyperion, "Oh man, the end of that book is crazy. Shit goes down." Maybe true. The rest of the book, great writing, but a lot of somewhat boring sci-fi talk. Even when the exciting things happen with the Shrike and what not, aside from one character, they aren't that exciting. I'm going to push through, it may get really good, it may stay just like this. I want to read something else.

2 comments:

These Seans said...

i still cant believe you havent finished that. it's so good. its probably that you have been spending all your time watching dexter and battlestar rather than reading!

new book this fall huh? heres hoping.

James. said...

I think its just that Dexter and B-Star held my interest much better than the book.