Sunday, May 11, 2008

Today in racism and pigeons:

Funny things that happened bright and early on this Sunday morning.

I was walking from work to the local news shop to pick up some news papers that did not get delivered this morning. I noticed 4 or so mostly white pigeons picking at something on the ground. The funny thing was, waiting eagerly behind these pigeons were 4 or so more pigeons almost totally black. Not just humans are racist.

Again, on way home from work I was walking from Union Square to the third ave stop on the L to kill some time on my long wait for a train. I was still in my work uniform, black shoes, black pants, nearly black sweater. There was a homeless black man walking around talking to who ever would listen, in between sips of his glass bottle of, wild guess, booze. No joke, you've all seen it. His eyes fall to me, and he starts to talk. "Look at this N-WORD!" he said the real thing, of course, "All black! Aint' he white? Something funny is going on."

True stories from the always interesting life of James, the observer.

No comments: