Saturday, May 17, 2008

I'm going to be really bored soon.

Erin came to visit on Tuesday, all the way from Chicago. She leaves tomorrow, Sunday. I have to say I was worried about what on Earth we we're going to do when she was here. The thing is, Sean, Furman, and I don't ever really go that often. So showing someone fun things to do in the city seemed like it was going to be harder than one would think. It wasn't though.

Here's a quick, boring overview:
It has been pretty rad having her here. A lot has been done. We've done shopping, of course. Hitting up Soho, two days in a row, was fun but no one bought anything. Either day. She, Sean and I went out to eat at "Sea" in Brooklyn. Awesome. There was basically lots of stuff like that, cruising around the city just doing things.

Now for the actually interesting, even if you weren't there, stuff:
Yesterday Sean and I both called out of work to find an uninviting rainy day. None of us were prepared to let that ruin our plans though. Erin had caught an ad on the Subway for the Murakami exhibit at the Brooklyn museum.

Photobucket

It was incredible.

On Thursday, backtracking for the REALLY cool part, we got tattoos. We had all briefly talked about getting matching tattoos, but didn't get much further than they couldn't be lame, and had to be well done. During our walk around Soho Erin and I stopped in to Kid Robot and I just said, "Let's get zombie tattoos." It obviously went over well with everyone, and Sean added a a little zazz by suggesting that we put the words "Eat meat" under the picture. It was a bit of a struggle, spending the better part of a day or two on the phone and interweb trying to track down good artists that had time to do them. Finally, walking to get coffee in BillyBurg after dinner at Sea on Thursday night we walked past Flyrite tattoo shop. Sean had called to ask them about the weekend, and they were full, I then pointed out that Thursday was not the weekend. We hurried back to ask, and a few of the artists agreed to stay late (2AM) to get them done. This is the aftermath.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And now, for perhaps my favorite part, just the company. Honestly, I couldn't remember what it was like to hang out with someone my own age. Not having to ask, "Will they card me?" every time I left the house was a nice change. It was really nice having someone to just sit around and drink coffee with in the morning, and also in the afternoon, and through the night back into the morning. Yes, we drank a lot of coffee. Day one we had plans to get out and do things, which has almost ruined by sitting around for hours just drinking coffee and catching up. We did a lot of that, sometimes it looked like this.

Photobucket

Basically, this past week has been a blast. Tiring, very, but loads of fun and memories. And now instead of worrying about finding time to meet people my age between work and my existing friends, I can be happy just hassling Erin until she sucks it up and moves here.

No comments: