Friday, May 23, 2008

Travel to the edge of the Earth

So I was talking with a friend the other night, or morning. We were having what turned out to be on of those "life conversations." We both spoke of our need to either travel, or move. She did me the favor of telling me exactly what I think I needed to hear. I've put it all together into the sort of fantasy of what I want to do.

I recently got worn out with where I was living, and seeking change, moved to New York. This is great, great city, great friends, the works. But now I think the need to get out of Maine was more than I originally thought. What I thought was just a need to move, I now think is need to travel. Nothing too soon, I just got here, but I really want to really experience my whole country. I want to just kind of pack up and leave, and see where things take me. I am in New York for at least another year, but I'm thinking maybe after that just leave. I guess I would just have to drop everything and do it. I could try to work things out with work, and roommates and what not, but it would be easier to just leave it all behind. What my mind has created for me is basically the money in my pocket, and a backpack containing some necessary items: change of clothes, tooth brush, soap, flipflop, water bottle. Just the basics. Probably a camera too. Thats it really, I just want to backpack across the country.

What I would be looking for is experience. Meeting all kinds of people. Seeing all kinds of places. Just doing whatever I can to get a place to sleep and a ride to my next city. I know this is all outrageous. The journey would be grueling, sometimes dangerous, loads of fun, and unlike anything most people would ever dream of going through. Knowing what I do of myself, I know that I could do this, but I think that, at least at times, I would need someone to do it with me.

That, I think, will be the biggest problem. This would be a HUGE commitment. Dropping everything for 2 months, maybe longer, to take some wild journey. I know the idea sounds sort of like a dream, most everyone I tell this to says how awesome they think it would be. The trouble will of course be finding someone who would do it. For real. The girl this all started with told me she'd go. I have trouble not believing her. We'll see in a year or so I guess.

No comments: