Friday, December 26, 2008

I'll write you letters.

Something comes over me when I write a letter, and I begin to feel like a soldier at war writing home to his love. I become slow, dramatic, and long winded, clinging to every word like it could be the last the recipient ever read from me.

I recently wrote an e-mail to a friend from college, Sara, for Christmas. Ok, so it was an e-mail, not a letter. Still, my lack of her street address did not stop the handwritten letter inside me from coming out. I found myself casually using words like, "pleasant," and phrases like, "It deeply saddens me."
Simple statements like, "I wont be home for a while, Merry Christmas!" became, "I'm sad to say I won't be home in time for the holidays, hence this e-mail, I lack the ability to give you something in person."
Using more words than needed, describing subtleties, trying desperately to make my written words seem slow, and soft spoken.

What's great is that she wrote back with the same kind of vibe, showing effort, and meaning behind every word. I do this every time I write a letter, but rarely do I get one like it in return. I don't know what it is about letters, I feel like writing styles have changed so much over the years, but letters will always keep a sincerity that is just the way they are supposed to be done.

No comments: