Saturday, October 11, 2008

No really,

I got jumped by Police in Queens.

After getting out of work at around 4, I hit the town with some friends from work. Our day quickly turned to night, hour after hour, and bar after bar, the debauchery continued and eventually led to Pete and I traveling to Queens with Dan. I'll spare most of the details, but I spent a good deal of time in a place called Flamingos, where all the Latin ladies seemed to cost money, and the bouncer really did not like the color of our skin. No joke. Finally, at an hour I cant even remember, it was clear that Dan really needed to go home. This was fine, we start walking, planning to grab some tacos from one of the street carts before hailing a cab. I'd say roughly 5 feet from the taco cart this guy just slams into me, forcing me back, shouting "police! police! KNIFE!" He was plain clothed, but just started grabbing at my pockets and shouting at me to stop moving. At this point four or so uniformed cops surround me and the plain clothed officer, who was still practically tackling me. After all the commotion slowed down, I saw that one of the hands flailing around me held a badge, the plain dressed dude was indeed a cop. But what the hell was going on? I try to explain, with a bit of a slur, "I just want some tacos, we're trying to get tacos, and get my friend home. I just want tacos. Tacos then home." The officer seems to see that I am actually just a harmless person, I am at this point waving my hands in the air as if to show my white flag (of surrender, not skin color). The officer in the plain clothes makes a last grab at my pocket, pulling out the pen that I had clipped there. "Oh, it's just a pen guys. I thought it was a knife." WHAT THE FUCK? Seriously. What? I can't even begin to put all these pieces together. Isn't there an easier way for this situation to go down? Honestly, I'm in a sketchy place, and some dude in plain clothes just grabs me, I guess I'm lucky I didn't try to defend myself from this possible thief, thug, murderer, or I guess police officer. After discovering it was just a pen, he didn't stop to say sorry, or even try to send us home. Everyone just left. I turn to see my friends standing there wide eyed, jaws dropped. "Fuck, get me some tacos."

In the end, I got some tacos. Everyone did. 2 chicken tacos. They were delicious, and worth every one of the 300 pennies I spent on them. Together we sat, Pete, Dan, and I, eating tacos, blown away by what just happened. We settled down while some more Latin girls told us that if we were not white, we would have been arrested anyway. Possible, I guess. But did they not realize the only white kids in this town just got jumped over a pen? I do not think our skin color was working in our favor on that night. Tacos though, I'm telling you, great idea.

No comments: