Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Twice a week.

I have recently started to eat cereal again. This might not seem like a big deal, at first anyway, but it is. I took a few years off cereal. I'd say I haven't been a serious cereal eater for the better part of 7 years. Before that time I ate cereal every day, mostly, and I can't say why I stopped. I'd tell you if I knew, but it's just that one day I woke up, in the house I grew up in, and didn't want any cereal. My life has changed dramatically since that day.

I was growing up, things were changing, and then I discovered toast, with butter and jam, not marmalade. I have a strong dislike for marmalade. I do, however, really enjoy toast. I love bread, I have a mild obsession with it. I like white bread, and I do not like any other kind of bread. I believe the correct flavor of bread is the flavor that comes from white bread, everything else is a mistake. I don't like things to be in my bread, I don't like 7 different grains in my bread, I just like the white one. This had made my shopping very difficult. Day to day it grows increasingly harder to find white bread. Everyone is eating bread with other shit in it, for their health or something, but mainly because wheat bread is hip. I eventually saw that they carried white bread down the street, at natural grocery store, for a jacked up price. Every week or so I would trudge down there, in the opposite direction of the rest of my groceries to buy over priced white bread. This stubbornness has really become a part of who I am, I grew up on white bread, and I will change for no grain.

From there I hit a pretty serious bagel obsession. I view bagels differently than I do bread, I do not mind things in, on, or around bagels that would not normally be there. I like onion bagels, mostly I just really like onions, and can usually find a way to put them in any meal. In this case they top my bagels, I've also been known to put a slice of red onion on my bagels, with cream cheese and tomatoes. At one point, not too long ago, this was my regular breakfast after work. I'd walk town to the Cafe Duke on Mercer St., just past 7, and I wave hello to the man behind the counter as he knowingly prepared my bagel. I'm classy like Sunday mornings, with Bloody Marys and bagels. I'd have to say my favorite bagel is the spinach and cheddar bagel. Tough to find, I don't think many places make them, but they are delicious. This was a staple in my weekend work days for a while, arriving at work with a sever hang over, a spinach and cheddar bagel, and a XXX Vitamin Water would set me straight again.

I've taken a long journey through the evolution of my breakfast habits over the years, and I hate to have been misleading, as the point of this is really all about milk. Years ago, when I stopped eating cereal, I stopped consuming milk. Instead I drank OJ with calcium. Orange juice is arguably better than milk anyway. But now that I have started drinking milk again, both in my cereal, and even just a glass I find myself going through a lot of it. I started off slow, only buying half gallons. I soon found myself buying one every couple of days, it became clear that a half was simply a fraction of the amount of milk I truly needed. Today I made the obvious decision to buy a full gallon, as to save myself some trouble. This is where trouble hits. Upon seeing that I bought a gallon, Sean suggested that we share the milk, and take turns buying it. Well, thats great an all, except that I bought the gallon because I need a gallon to support my milk drinking habits. A half a gallon doesn't do it for me anymore, and if my childhood math teachers were good to me, sharing my gallon of milk would put me right back where I started. Sure it would still be a gallon, but I'd still only get half of it. I simply just can not do it. Maybe in the future, when my cereal kick slows down.

No comments: