Saturday, March 21, 2009

Today could be nice.

Wonderfully nice day outside isn't it? I went outside today to bring my laundry to the place that cleans it for me, and I wore shorts and a tee shirt. I admit it's a bit early for that, as I was kind of cold. But it wasn't a very cold cold, just the kind of cold that made me re-think shorts and a tee shirt.

The reason for this attire was that I was cleaning. Spring cleaning, I guess. Again, I may be a bit early. But earlier I had been dressed in pants, which would have been a better choice for going outside. I changed though, for the cleaning, I didn't want to get my pants all messed up. They were the only pair I had left, the other ones were being washed.

Also, I'm going out tonight. With a girl. And I really feel like I should wear pants, and they should be clean (clean is a relative term at this point, I tend to only wear two pairs of pants. I have a Dark pair, and a light pair, and I wear one per wash cycle. It can be up to two weeks at a time. So by clean I really mean, no highly visible dirtyness. I have a third pair of pants should this become the case, emergency pants). And today, mostly due to the fact that I am indeed going out tonight with a girl, right, leaving the apartment with no real intentions of taking anyone home tonight, I decided I should clean. Just in case. Right? Good thinking James. So I start to clean. I started, oddly enough, with the fridge. Why? Well, not because it would very obviously be the last place said girl that may/may not ever set foot in my apartment would look, but because it really freaking needed it. Seriously. There was stuff in there, containers containing things that I just wasn't able to tell what it was anymore. And also stuff that should just be gotten rid of. Like, pickels. Very old pickels. Not really doing any harm. Not cleary gone bad. But just probably not safe to put other good food in the same room with. They are now thrown out.

I then moved to the bathroom. I live with a bathroom used by three guys, all the time. It probably needs to be cleaned more than it is, but whatever, it's clean now. It really does look nice. It really takes other people to make you want to clean like that, you know, cause ok, well, if there is a bit of hair somewhere, well, it's your hair, no bother. BUT! Enter a third party, and suddenly it's not just your hair, to them, it's someone elses hair. And that just wont do.

Next I mopped the floors, after sweeping, of course. There is a shine to them now. Now, I live in a basement, and not to make excuses, but due to living in a basement there are certain things that even though they may be clean, they just don't look clean. My floor is one of those things. It shines now, over all the scuff marks.

Next was my bedroom. This is where it gets tricky. See, taking someone to your place of living, for the first time, you obviously try to make it out to be more than it is, hence the cleaning. But, I just kind of lost it when it came to the bedroom. Probably the most important room. Probably the room I should have started with, when I still had all that cleaning motivation. But by this point it was gone. What came out was half assed. I AM a failry clean person, just not in my room. There is a system a chaos that works for me, it may not be a good system, but it is a system none the less. Cleaning creates problems, as I instantly forget where I put things, because they are no longer on the floor. This, to me, is real chaos. So, I packed up all the dirty laundry, as I previously explained, and that seemed to do a lot already. I felt pretty good about it. I took the rest and shoved it in my suitcase (the thing I still live out of, just to show commitment to my lack of commitment). This did a great deal more for the room, the floor was clearly there. I, again, felt pretty good about myself. Then I swept, a little. Fucking hell, my floor is white. I'd say I spent the most amount of time stacking my loads of books, nicely, neatly, and organized...ly. I thought about how I was really going to show off my nerdyness. My stacks of epic collections of entire comicbook series(There are a lot of them) and all my nice books, filling my big brown box, that hold all the things I like to keep in it (if you do not have a box like this, I would suggest getting one. It is really great having a box to put things in at all times). I surveyed the situation: Floor mostly swept, clean clothes in a mountain almost, but not quite, hiding the suitcase that seperated them from the floor. Dirty clothes being cleaned by the nice mexican woman, that works for the nice Asain American man. Books, stacked. Bed, clearish. Sheets changed recently enough. I thought this was good enough. This is where it gets tricky. I COULD really go for it, and make my room look really nice. I COULD. But, I feel like that would just be lying. As, after this point, being the first time this person may or may not see my room, if it were REALLY clean, it would be the last time she would see it like that. She would come into this under the impression that I had a clean room. Make whatever assumptions one would make after meeting someone with a clean room, and then have her world fall to pieces should she ever see it again, in the controlled chaos almost system that it normally is. And I wouldn't want that to happen. So, instead, I stopped cleaning. It now looks clean, like, normal clean. Like the everyday clean that someone lives in who isnt extremely messy. So, next time, should it be typically messy, it will just seem like possily a bad day, like, "ok, this could use a bit of a clean. But given the state it was in last time, it looks like it's getting to the point where he would clean it soon, had he not been out spending money on me." This is of course not true, but I am ok with that lie. Honesty is a tricky thing, and not always good. It's good, but so is lying sometimes. Dont deny it. So in this case, not really know what I am getting into, I choose the half lie. Happy medium? Yes.

No comments: