Monday, June 29, 2009

Stuck in the middle with you.

So I ended up just buying aother new iPhone. It would have cost me $200 to fix the screen on my broken one, and since I was starting a new plan with AT&T I got a new phone for only $200. Whatever, I don't like having money anyway. And now I can take videos, and my phone has a compass.

Getting the phone was a HUGE pain in the ass though. I get to the Apple store in Soho, stopping to see some locals before I got there, and get directed to the line. Wasn't that bad, waited for maybe half an hour. This very cute little black girl helps me. Her name was Nicole, and she was very exctied that her red and white Nikes matched the red and white case for her phone. So far, this is painless. We set almost everything up, transfer my number from T Mobile yada yada. Now time for the credit check. We had to call AT&T for this, and the guy on the phone has to ask me some security questions.

Questions 1: What was the name of the loan company that I used for the student loan I paid off last year.
Answer 1: Are you serious? I have no idea.
Question 2: How much did you pay monthly?
Answer 2: I didn't pay monthly, I paid them all off in full right away.
Question 3: I'm sorry, we can't help you. You need to go to an AT&T store and settle this.

Ugh. Nicole gives me a note saying that when I get back I don't have to wait in line. Everyone in the store is confused by the amount of bullshit that is happening right now.

At the AT&T store, I wait in line for another half hour or so, but I stopped on the way to get some coffee, so it wasnt all bad. I was kind of pissed though, the guy in front of me was taking a really long time, mostly because he didn't understand that the credit/debit options on his debit card are basically the same thing, and the guy helping him was having trouble explaining it. Anyway, once at the counter, the guy at the store tells me that the guy on the phone was a moron, and without a fax number to send an approved credit check to, I'd have to just get a plan, buy random phone, and then go back to Apple, and buy an iPhone at full price. He suggests I just go back and try again, and hope to get someone on the phone who isn't a moron. Or to come back with a fax number.

So now I'm stuck in the middle, a place on each side of me that cant help me with out help from the other, but they cant help eachother help me. I go back to the Apple store. Nicole is leaving, she explians my situation to someone else, and we get to work. New guy, Danny, is totally blown away by this. We do EVERYTHING again, and then, the call center for the credit check is closed. FUCK. So he does some digging with his bosses, and they come up with a higher up number for AT&T. We call it, this guy is a real big douche bag, Danny stops multiple times to tell him to calm down, and lose the attitude. And then, we explain to him that the address on my credit card is from Maine because I was living there when I got it, he says, "Oh, well, that makes sense. Ok, he's approved."

Seriously? This took me like 4 hours. I was a little frustrated, but mostly happy. Combine all this with the night I had the night before, I was alittle all over the place. So I went to a Sushi place, and some some sweet food and a Kirin Light. It was nice.

No comments: