Thursday, November 27, 2008

I'd ask for one more day. But the calendar says to be happy today.

It starts off slow, but this a blog about being happy. No seriously, trust me.

Current time: 3:52 Am. I'll leave in a couple hours to go to work, but for the meantime I'll sit here with the company of a spaceheater, a strong cup of coffee, and my fucked up sleep schedule. Oh right, and it's Thanksgiving.

Should I ask what all of you are thankful for?

I started something here, a little holiday jeer. I've never been one for holidays, but about half way through I decided not to share. I'll spare you. Sometimes bitterness is better kept to oneself .

Keeping more with the mood that seems to fit these extraordinarily special days, I'll share my plans. We can compare what we all did later, it will be fun! (I'm trying to keep this positive)

I was slightly scared about this holiday season, what was I going to do? Provided you can follow the norm, holidays are supposed to make everyone happy. However, should you fall short of the norm, ie: not having anything to do on thanksgiving, it can be equally depressing.

So when work asked me to work rather than go home for turkey day, and then work the following day as well, I got the feeling today would go nowhere. I couldn't go home, and I couldn't go to Philly to see my sisters. As I mentioned above, I'm not really one for holidays, but it would still be kind of bummer to eat a turkey sandwich alone tonight (Dear God, that sounds way more depressing than I meant it to. Haha). Thankfully, something I almost forgot about altogether, I have good friends.

Although it is proving to be far more difficult than is needed, Jen Jun, Pete Remm, whoever else Pete invited, and myself will gather tonight for some turkey (if all goes according to plan) and probably lots of drinks. It's gotten to be slightly stressful, trying to decide who is doing what, when, and how. Jen and I both have to work. I only work till three. So Jen decided to do most of the cooking the night before, and then Pete and I would finish up after I get out of work. Easy, right? Of course not. Things just do not work as planned. So, at the moment, we might have a turkey. Worst come to worst, we'll order Chinese food. I have managed to not really care all about the complications that have come with our plans. I've been saying things like, "Who cares, all that matters is that we have a good time right?" Seriously, I said that. And a bunch of other things that sounded just like that. I swear, that kind of optimism almost hurt.

But honestly, as much as I love the standard Thanksgiving meal, I could give a fuck what I eat. Knowing that I'm going to get together with two of my good friends, and have a good time regardless (something these good friends have yet to realize), I couldn't be happier.

I know, it took a while for me to get there. But that is ultimately what this blog was intended to be about, James Walsh is stoked on fun for thanksgiving. Maybe, just maybe, I'm just in a good mood because it's a Thanksgiving, and I'm thankful for some things (though I'll probably never fully admit it). I suppose it's a possibility. I mean, who doesn't like celebrating the slaughter of the Indians and the theft of their country, I know I do!

4 comments:

twjewel said...

Happy Thanksgiving Jamie.
love, mom

ADW said...

did you have a good thanksgiving? we missed here!

OonieBird said...

I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving and have such wonderful friends. We missed you!!

Anonymous said...

Jamie- i don't have your email so I hope you check your blog comments and get this...

I think you should come home for Christmas, it won't be the same w/o you!! I(we) have some presents for you and would love to see you. If you can't get enough time off work you could always come up just a short visit?? ..the bus trip isn't too long and a flight is even shorter..

Ali