Sunday, June 29, 2008

Currently in the life of James:

Stress.

Let us begin with a story of aftermath. As many of you know (probably all of you, Sean, Jessica, and Mom) I got a pretty sweet head injury a couple years back. Fucked up my head pretty good. I was told to expect problems with memory, but after a good deal of time spent healing, I rarely noticed anything. Lately though, with the repetition of how the majority of my days go, I notice. My short term will not last long term. On a daily basis, I say again, daily basis, I take the R-W from 14th to Prince. 2 stops. 8th st, then Prince. And everyday I get to 8th street and say to myself, "one more stop." And again, everyday as the train gets its last legs out of the station I think to myself, "Fuck, did I just miss Prince?" I'd say the amount of time between these two thoughts is about 20-30 seconds. And I really just dont know. I know it happens everyday, but I really just have no idea. "Maybe this time I actually did miss it." And I dont find out until I arrive at Prince.

To continue with this theme, last night at work I was putting out the Sunday paper in front of everyones room for the morning. After I do the 4th floor and go to the 3rd, I can only remember doing half the 4th floor. Did I forget to do the other half? Probably not, but I have NO IDEA. Really, I had to go back up and check, and of course I did the whole floor, I just could not remember it. Im guessing the time span from finishing the floor, and arriving at the next was about a minute. Fantastic.

It has been happening a lot lately that if I am not really paying attention to something, like something that has just become habit, I might just forget it.



Adding to stress. Work fucked me over. Without giving too much detail, because I probably shouldn't, here it is.

They fire the overnight guy, hire a new guy who knows the General Manager, and even after I say no to their request they make me the new overnight guy. Giving the new guy 5 day shifts, and me 3 overnight, and one day shift. Thats right. 4 shifts. This pissed me off to no end. I immediately said I wouldn't do it. I pointed out my obvious seniority over new guy, and that it just wasnt right. My manager did not have me very convinced that it really mattered. So I go to my co-worker/sort of boss and tell him, he flips and starts fighting on my side. And I am going to go to the GM as well to in the "professional" way tell her that its bullshit. Basically, I'm not going to do it. It will get fixed, one way or the other, but it still pisses me off. Which stresses me out.

3 comments:

jessica maria said...

Boo! Batman would also be on your side if he wasn't so busy.

James. said...

Dude. Batman and I go way back. He actually called to say he was sorry he couldn't come help, he's deep sea diving off the coast of Madagascar. Who knew?

twjewel said...

Forgetting is the new normal.