Thursday, April 17, 2008

Zoooooombies!!

I just watched George Romero's new Zombie movie, Diary of the Dead. This movie ruled. I was really disappointed in the previous film, Land of the Dead. As entertaining as it was for violence, gore, and the Zombie movie basics, it was just kind of dumb. Diary of the Dead was much more like the older movies though. It was all done on handy cams and security footage, and was literally a video diary of one group of survivors struggle through a zombie outbreak. All zombie movies are about that I guess, but being done in the style of a diary, a blog in progress, made it so much more personal. It was just awesome.

It seems like everyone likes zombies now. They are trendy, I guess. Whatever, I like zombies, a lot. I've been writing a zombie story for over a year now, don't get the wrong idea, I've only got like 20 pages. I started writing it for a Creative Writing class I was taking back when I was in school. I wrote two chapters, the second and third, fully planning to go back and write a prologue and a first chapter. More chapters may be needed to begin the story, I'll find out someday. I started writing my story at the point where zombies were already infesting the town and blah blah blah. But anyway, I stopped writing because I wanted to re write it. I want to change it from 1st to 3rd person. I liked the idea of a first hand account of a survivor at first, but now not so much, what if I want him to die? With the re write, I plan on changing a lot now. Maybe I shouldn't say re write, I'm just going to start a new story. I've written a few different possible stories. I've got kids in high school, kids in college, and two people who live in New York going home to Maine for a visit. I think I like the Maine one best. Actually, they all involved Maine, lets face it, its a great place for a zombie attack. But yeah, the two people visiting home. I want it to be deeply personal, this is something I've been trying to make it for a while without success, and then of course Romero comes around and throws his new movie in my face. Oh well. But yeah, it will be the story of my two characters told through a zombie attack. Love birds? Zombie birds? Who knows. As soon as I get something I think I like I'll post it up here.


On a completely different note: As I was writing this, a friend of mine wrote to me to tell me he was going to buy fish. The fighting fish kind. Two of them, separate tanks. And well, now I want a fish. My friend Kathryn from college had a fish named Akakah. Yeah, Akakah. Im not sure I spelled it right, the name is literally just a sound she made when she bought the fish. So, I dont think the whole "James really wants a cat" thing is really going to work out. Probably for the better, it will be hard to find a cat with bear like qualities, and I dont want to be disappointed in my cat, and then neglect him to the point where he puts his head in the oven. So I think I'm going to get a fish. Or two.

No comments: