Monday, February 9, 2009

Brothers and sisters, I am an atomic bomb.

I just finished reading The Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite, by Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance. As usual, I am a bit late on this series, and I'm sure most of the initial hype has died down; this is when I love to discover new things, after everyone else has. Anyway. I have been hearing a lot about new original comics lately, mostly in a debate between Kirkman and Bendis on the reality of being able to make your own comic; now with adding The Umbrella Academy to the list of original comics that I read, I'm really excited about it.

This comic is incredible, to say the least. Gerard's story is very well done, the idea, the writing itself, even the structure of the story, and the manner in which the story unfolds. Gerard had created a very unique story, and has a style of storytelling that is both all his own, and appropriately typical at the same time(when it needs to be). The series started on free comic book day, with a teaser issue. One of the first lines is, "It's really you ---And you're dead. Sorry about that." Together with images behind these lines, it really does make for a great teaser.

The story is really made by the art though. The look of the comic is very Gothic, fitting to the themes of the story, Gabriel Ba did a great job with the characters, but more importantly the world they live in. The color is really what takes it up a notch, set mostly with dark colors, lots of black, gray, brown, even all the reds blues and greens have a darkness about them. But then come these outrageously bright kind of obscure colors, mostly in the action scenes, that just blow your mind. I think the image below doesn't really do it justice, but it has examples of both.

The cover art as well, it is really just very well done. They are, again, very dark and simple. But just really good. Art, for me, makes a breaks a comic. I continually judge books by their covers. If I don't like the art of a comic, it is hard for me to really get into it. I'm sure I've missed some great comics because of this, I'm also sure I've liked some pretty bad comics because I liked the art.


If you enjoy comics, read this one. It is worth it, and then some.

No comments: